Monday, January 6, 2014

#SunShine Awards - thanks for Carolyn and Kathy for giving me something mindlessly fun to do!

I think the rules are widely read, but for those of you who haven't seen this, here they are:

So here is how it works:
Step 1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger (s).
Step 2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
Step 3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
Step 4. List 11 bloggers you think deserve some recognition and a little blogging love! (These people can’t include the blogger who nominated you.)
Step 5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate


Step 1 – Acknowledge the nominating blogger (s):
Big thanks to Carolyn Durley ‏@c_durley and  for nominating me!



Step 2 – 11 random facts about me:
  1. I was a three-sport athlete (volleyball, basketball, and softball) in high school - well for two years anyways.  After my sophomore year, I decided softball wasn't in my genes because it was outdoors and I sunburned too easily and I didn't like having to worry about the weather when playing (wind, rain, mud...).  I played outside hitter in volleyball and was nicknamed the "Master Blaster".  I was a few kills away (I think it was 35) from breaking the school record that was held by a girl who played at UConn.  I was point guard in basketball.  Before I started driving (a car), my coach told me that I would be a good driver because I was so used to scanning my surroundings while playing point.  I still think about that almost every time I drive now, over 15 years later.
  2. I went to college planning on being a Physical Therapist and majored in Kinesiology with a focus in Pre-PT. Midway through my first semester, I thought to myself, "What am I doing? I've always wanted to be a teacher" and changed my concentration to Teaching/Coaching and started taking the classes to get my minor in math.  Seeing that I was going to have to take so many science classes (chemistry and physics) also turned me away. 
  3. I coached girls basketball at the JV level my first three years of teaching. I had records of 13-8, 21-0, 20-2, with two league championships.  It was a ton of fun and I miss it a lot, but family needed to come first and it wasn't able to with the time commitment coaching a winter (I mean year-round) sport took.
  4. My first plane ride was my freshmen year college when our basketball team flew to Kentucky for a tournament.  Since then I've flown many more times, but it was definitely an experience for me.  I have no idea what pre-9/11 flights were like.
  5. I had no sports injuries when I was in high school, besides the minor ankle sprain, but once I went to college I had knee surgery (torn meniscus/ lateral cyst removal; played on it for a whole season living on a steroid shot and ibuprofen), achilles tendon surgery (ruptured while I was coaching showing the three man weave, two days after my doctor released me to start jogging from my knee surgery... that was a fun visit to my physical therapist and doctor wondering why the heck I was on crutches again!), and then a few months after I quit my college basketball team due to too much back pain, I collapsed on my desk with a herniated disc (L4-5) in my back and was in therapy for another 6 months. Three major injuries in just about a year and half.  Let's just say my basketball playing career was over.
  6. I met my husband while leaving college basketball practice one day. I had ice saran wrapped to my achilles, knee, and back, and was limping out of the gym gross and sweaty when a mutual friend called me over and introduced me to his friend who had just transferred in.  I won't say it was the greatest first impression, but I guess it goes to show that first impressions aren't everything.
  7. I live 15 minutes from Southern California beaches but probably have only been 2 or 3 times since graduating college 8 years ago.  I don't like hunting (or paying) for parking and the crowds.  I grew up in a small town where there was no paid parking anywhere, it was all free... so it perturbs me having to go anywhere and pay for parking now.
  8. In my small town, we had a Wal-mart, and that's about it.  That is where we would hang out, seriously.  We made up something called "The Walmart Game" where you divide up into teams, pick out a certain amount of random items, and then trade carts.  The first team to correctly place back all the items (yes, there is a test of integrity here!) wins.
  9. When I was in 9th grade, I won a ride on the "Jesus" Balloon at the local hot air balloon festival for having the best attendance in Sunday School.  I got up super early (like 4am) only to go to the balloon field and find out the balloons weren't flying that morning due to wind.  We were heading out of town to go shopping (yes, living in a town with just a wal-mart meant it was a huge planned trip to drive the 90 miles to the nearest mall) so we couldn't wait around for the winds to die down.  It might have been meant to be as I'm scared of heights, but I still would have loved the experience.
  10. I own every book Karen Kingsbury has written.  My husband gets mad because I own too many books.  I know I could borrow them from the library or get them as an eBook, but there is just something about curling up with a good book with real pages that makes reading that much more enjoyable. My dream is to one day have a library like in the movie "Beauty and the Beast", where the whole room is dedicated to books and a comfy reading area.
  11. I really do believe Disneyland is the "Happiest Place on Earth".  We had annual passes for a couple of years and it was so glorious to go there and get away from all the stresses of life.  Walking down main street, listening to the music, not worrying about waiting in line because you could always come back another day... it was wonderful.  We are hoping to get them again soon, but the prices are ridiculous.
Step 3 – Answers to questions asked of me
1. Favorite quote or saying? (Carolyn)  "If it's important to you, you will find a way; if not, you'll find an excuse".  It's on my wall in my classroom.
2. If you could do your post secondary education over again what (if anything) would you do differently? (Carolyn) Not sure... I met my husband there and I'd never want to change that.
3. What inspired you to go into education? (Carolyn) I love teenagers, and I love math... and I love feeling like I am able to make a difference.  Every day is different and every year is a fresh start.
4. If you did not have to work what would you do instead (or would you continue to work)? (Carolyn) I would be a stay at home Mom to my precious little boy.  I'd do that now if I could.
5. What one country that you have not visited, would you like to and why? (Carolyn) I want to go back to Europe and explore. My husband and I love to go on vacations where we can visit places and museums and learn.  We went to Rome and on a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon and besides the language barrier we loved it.  One of these days...
6. What is your favorite way to unplug and unwind? (Carolyn) Curl up with a good book or hulu
7. Strangest food you have consumed? (Carolyn) I don't consume strange food. I'm very picky.  If it looks or smells unappealing, I won't try it.  I'm a VERY picky eater.  I actually looking forward to making Grayson's food at home because I think it will help me to try new things since I'll be making it for him.  I'll eat my portion before I puree it for him though :)
8. What is your favorite movie and why? (Kathy) I'm not sure if I have a favorite.  I like chick flicks and then movies like the Ocean's series, the Italian Job, and the Bourne series.  When Ocean's 11 came out on video I watched it 6 times in one day because I was so fascinated by the plot and how it all came together.
9. What is your favorite form of caffeine? (Kathy) None. Unless chocolate counts.  I don't drink coffee, and I rarely drink soda.  I didn't drink  a lick of soda from the time I was in 7th grade until I was out of college. My older sister's high school basketball coach wouldn't let the team drink soda during the season and I wanted to be "cool" like her so I stopped drinking soda... and just never started again.  Now I can only drink it in small quantities if water isn't an option.
10. Favorite twitter chat? (Kathy) The only one I participate in, I guess... #flipclass.  I don't have much time these days to participate in chats and it seems like when I try I only last about 10 minutes before Grayson needs me again.  One of these days I'll be back!  I tried #caedchat but (sadly) it's too late for me.  I try to get to bed between 8 and 9 when I'm working...
11. Do you prefer salty or sweet? What is your favorite salty or sweet and why?? (Kathy) Depends on the day. I definitely crave both.  The best is a combination - I think my mom calls them "Turtles" - it's a pretzel with a rolo on top.  Salty, chocolate, and caramel. YUM!
Step 4 – My Questions for you:
See Step 5 :)
Step 5 – Now it’s over to you:
I think everyone I would nominate has already done this... and everyone is back to work so I have a feeling nobody really has the time to complete it.  So this chain letter will end here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...